Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Hospital Awareness Week



Cook County Board President Todd Stroger had his Prostate removed and the beat reporters are pissed. It seems that Todd should have revealed his Cancer issue before he was elected board president to give voters a chance to decide if they would really want someone with “the big C” as Board President.

Mr. Stroger chose to keep the matter private as in “Mr. Beavers told me since he has the biggest nuts that I should shut up and wait until June to say anything”.

The press conference was legendary – his poor, poor staff is confused and damn it all to hell if the man didn’t tell the pool of reporters that the curable form of Cancer he has could be taken care of without delay and that he would be able to continue with his job.

Don’t get me wrong. I think Todd Stroger albeit a very nice man is not the best man for this job and when I first saw that he was in the hospital I thought it was to get courage although I don’t know the medical procedure for such a thing.

Maybe I am too much the cynic but I feel like unless it’s life threatening it doesn’t matter whether or not he told the world about his condition. The bottom line is that the man has or had Prostate Cancer and since it affects Americans of African lineage more than anyone that should be the issue not whether or not the pool of reporters missed out on a juicy story that could have changed the election.

God speed President Stroger and hopefully you will recover nicely. To the members of the press, relax and be well. Dig around City Hall I’m sure there is a story on the 5th floor.

No comments: