Tuesday, June 26, 2007

End of an Era?


It is with great dismay that I report something that apparently many already knew. HotHouse the South Loop stalwart is closing/relocating. July 15 is the scheduled last day of operations for the joint which has housed hundreds of shows and lectures over the years. My relationship with HotHouse goes back to its days on Milwaukee Ave...I have had a chance to help organize/perform and work at HotHouse and I am sad beyond words. I am however happy that the closing is taking place because some things must die in order to live.

It has been one unmatched ride, from seeing my heroes like Oscar Brown Jr., Hugh Masekela, Marvin Tate's D-Settlement, Gil-Scott Heron and zillions of other great shows...this is hard times I guess. It goes without saying that the South Loop will not be the same without the place but as we (the men and women who work there) knew some time ago, this was indeed inevitable.

I think the proper way to say goodbye is by coming down to the spot and attaching as many memories as possible with you. I'll miss it for various reasons but the thing I'll miss most is a place where one could enjoy various musics and comedy (unscheduled). I'll miss everybody even the members of Chicago's growing houseless community who made nights there interesting. I won't miss invisible paychecks, being asked my purpose for being there, a 500 ft wide maxi pad being waived in my face, people trying to "enjoy the moment" in our bathroom, drunk patrons or nights where we would have handfuls of folks instead of the hundreds we had grown accustomed to.

If you want to find out what's going on at HotHouse in the short term go to hothouse.net and take a look around. Yeah this is indeed tough but when one door closes...

No comments: