Friday, June 27, 2008

SIMEON HS FINALLY GETS THEIR #1


It came 24 years late but Simeon high school located on the south side of Chicago got what they deserved. A major weight lifted from their shoulders. Twenty four years ago Ben Wilson was destined to be the number one draft pick - maybe. We'll never really know that for sure in that Benji was murdered down the street from his school 24 years ago...it's been that long huh? Simeon has always turned out wonderful hoopers and that isn't easy for me to say since I am a Chicago Vocational man myself.

Derrick Rose is going to be fine folks, stop worrying. I've heard some go as far as to say that the Bulls are doomed for picking him. That is crazy people talk and his talent will soon become a wonderful piece to a ever changing puzzle. I hope they give the kid a chance but this isn't so much about "Pooh". This piece is about the people who attend Simeon and the people who live in "the wood" Chicago's Englewood neighborhood.

They deserve a huge break and hopefully today they finally know what having a weight lifted from your collective shoulders feels like. I know it's basketball. I know DR is going to make a zillion dollars. I know that "the wood" will still have it's share of setbacks. But maybe the kid from "the wood" who attended "the meon" will be that guy for those people, his people from his part of this great city.

No comments: