Wednesday, June 4, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAND END SCENE


I live in OBAMAVILLE and the only place I could think of to watch history be made was where Barack and I get cut up...his barbershop. There were a few folks there. Two guys who work there, a young brother in the chair, my man GQ - an up and coming rap artist who has unreal savvy when it comes to politics, a little girl and yours truly. I wanted to be where I felt the closest to the candidate. I don't usually catch him at the barber - I almost always miss him or on the occasion I arrive early he's leaving...I wanted to go to the one place where Senator Obama can be the cat from Hyde Park. The distinguished gentleman from Illinois. The older brother with a nice jumper, Brother Barack.

Listening to his speech I realized in that place that this would be my "where was I moment". Ex; where were you the morning of 9/11? Where were you when Bartman became famous? You get the idea...Barack Obama is probably the most popular politician on the planet right now and his swagger is immense. “Tonight, I can stand here before you and say that I will be the Democratic nominee for the president of the United States of America.” Even in this holy place the barbershop he casts a shadow over everything. This is his home away from everyone other than the magicians who serve as the ambassadors of cool for the people.

In our country, I have found that this cooperation happens not because we agree on everything, but because behind all the false labels and false divisions and categories that define us; beyond all the petty bickering and point-scoring in Washington, Americans are a decent, generous, compassionate people, united by common challenges and common hopes. And every so often, there are moments which call on that fundamental goodness to make this country great again. On that we will see and I say that knowing that this country is extremely troubled and divided. I do believe that the time is perfect for a different look. Not the change that comes in Washington - that is unrealistic. The change comes from the people, you and I. We are the change. Changing our attitudes toward our world view, our neighborhoods, our people, our children. Not expecting Obama to be a Saviour and give us "salvation". Not expecting government cheese either. This election will demand that we make a choice based on what we know not what we wish for.

Barack Obama is not Santa Claus, he is a man. He is on the verge of being America's first president of African descent and that within itself is important. What really matters is the moment and if we let this moment pass us by based on what we think and not what we know, we can blame no one but ourselves.

So it has been for every generation that faced down the greatest challenges and the most improbable odds to leave their children a world that's better, and kinder and more just.

And so it must be for us.

So it happened and "Part 1 of 2" became reality. Hillary Clinton gave up...kinda and after her not so subtle attempt at "conceding", Barack Hussein Obama became the designated driver of the Democratic party bus. The campaign for the Democratic nod is ovah and now the real game begins. John Wayne McCain (no joke that is his name...imagine the fun) is not equipped to be the man with the steelcase at hand. Check the records of both men...numbers do not lie.

So it has been for every generation that faced down the greatest challenges and the most improbable odds to leave their children a world that's better, and kinder and more just.

And so it must be for us.



As Obama rapped up his speech I looked at the people who were in the barbershop and especially that little girl. She couldn't have been older than 8 or 9. I asked her if she knew what was going on and she said she did. I have trouble finding the exact words for what I saw in her eyes but it filled me up man...unreal. This historic moment and the kid who has the world in her path. It humbles me and makes me want to protect all of 'em ya know?

The barbershop will be buzzing tomorrow with TV cameras and reporters wanting to get any new angle they can on the nominee. He might even make an appearance although he looked like he got a nice cut already. The price of one of those haircuts just went way up...good work fellas.

I said goodnight to the unofficial victory party. I said goodbye to that kid. She smiled and I a very special thing in her smile. Within her smile there is hope. It isn't forced. It means life and progress and seeing that I smiled, and went on my way.

No comments: